Including two novels and four non-fiction books, the shortlist captures a diverse range of subjects and perspectives, from brain surgeons to historic trailblazers, anxiety sufferers to survivors of loss:
- The Iceberg by Marion Coutts (Atlantic)
- Do No Harm by Henry Marsh (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)
- Bodies of Light by Sarah Moss (Granta)
- The Incredible Unlikeliness of Being by Alice Roberts (Heron)
- My Age of Anxiety by Scott Stossel (Windmill Books)
- All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews (Faber)
The Chair of Judges, Bill Bryson, was joined by prominent figures from the worlds of science, literature, academia and media to select the six best new books that engage with some aspect of medicine, health or illness.
The winner of the 2015 prize will be announced on 29 April 2015.